Monday, September 16, 2013

PROMPT: What is the most amazing thing you've ever seen?

I've seen many amazing things in my life, but there are a few that I will always remember. These are experiences that chilled me to the bone - that made my toes tingle and my eyes shine. They have been branded in my memory. Their beauty is one that overwhelmed my and changed me. Just remembering the moments I have in mind gives me goosebumps.

A few years ago, on a brisk summer morning in the middle of Yorkshire, England, I sleepily trudged up a steep hill. It was just before dawn, and the sun was beginning to peek over the rolling pastures behind me. Girl Guides I had met along the way, hailing from Scotland, Australia, Taiwan, and the UK helped me and my American friends carry our luggage to the charter bus that would take us to the airport. I turned around when I reached the top of the hill, gazing down at the sea of colorful tents that had been my home for the past week. The newly rising sun reflected off the dew on the grass, making the field look like it was sparkling below me. The sky was gray with the remnants of rain clouds, but the smallest suggestion of a rainbow still managed to glow through the mist. The feeling that filled me at that moment was indescribable. The sight was amazing, beautiful to behold.

Rewind a few years back. Now I am sitting in a cramped audience. The scents of sweat, metal, pine, and aerosol fill the air. Above me, slender women in sparkling leotards wind themselves up in the lengths of silk that hang from the sky. They climb higher and higher, wrapping and twirling before letting go and allowing the flowing fabric to catch them before they hit the ground. Girls my age flip and fly on wooden bars attached to the ceiling by long ropes - trapezes. A man holds gravity defying poses, all the while supported by two ribbons that he holds in his hands. I remember at that moment wanting to leap on stage. I wanted to fly, too! And soon enough, I did. Now, I am the one hanging from extreme heights and dancing in midair. This experience influenced my life now, and my soul flies with me from the stage and into the audience every time I perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment