Monday, September 16, 2013

PROMPT: Why should we do things right the first time and every time?

I suppose with this prompt I'm expected to say something along the lines of, "If we always do things right the first time, we won't have to go back and fix them," or something else that is equally boring and unimaginative. But actually, I disagree with this prompt altogether. Although we should always strive to do the right thing, it is our mistakes from which we learn. Screwing up is exactly what helps us develop an understanding of right and wrong.

One of my favorite quotes ever is by J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter: “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default.” Another quote I love, this one by actress Emma Watson, is as follows: "I would not make any changes to my past. This is because I strongly believe that what mistakes we made are our valuable assets. People will learn a lot from their mistakes and keep moving forward.” I love these quotes because they ring so true to me. If you live your life avoiding failure as much as possible, you will make no progress and learn nothing. For example, doing perfectly in school is great. But until you get your first bad grade on a test, the concept of actually STUDYING (gasp!) will by foreign to you (unless you're one of those freaks who does perfectly in school because they study). And when you get to college, you will have no study skills, and you will most likely struggle.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't TRY to do the right thing. Of course we should! Morals are what make us good people. We should always put forth our best effort and make the decisions we think are right. But we shouldn't be AFRAID of messing up. Mistakes are what make us human. They help us to learn, grow, and become better versions of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment